In this blog, I’m going to share an easy and effective solution to update the Office 365 Company branding. If we look at the login experience in Office 365 in Azure, we kind of must agrees that they all look same for every single user. In the previous version, you would see a highway in California, and in the modern experience, it’s actually a view from the mountain’s top.
Updating the Office 365 company branding will help the end-users protect themselves by identifying phishing attacks. With Phishing attacks, people are led to a fake login page that looks identical to the real one. People enter their username and password and that’s how attackers gain access to their credentials.
However, if you change the login experience the fake login page will differ significantly from the real one, and that way your users can identify a phishing attack very easily.
The standard screen currently when you go to https://portal.office.com, displays as below:
After completing the below steps to update company branding, you’ll be able to transform the login screen as per your company requirements.
So, Let’s get started and see what are the steps to achieve this transformation.
How to apply corporate identity/branding on Microsoft Login Screens?
First, Microsoft Azure Active Directory is required, which we will get automatically when we set up a client with Microsoft Online, be it Microsoft O365 or Microsoft Azure.
Next, we will log in to the Office 365 portal. Please ensure you’re logged in as administrator.
When signed in, it navigates to the Office 365 Portal, from there click on the App Launcher at the top, then click admin and it will navigate to the Admin Centre as shown below:
Next, we will be accessing Azure AD because it is what lets us customize the branding for Office 365. It is technically a separate subscription, but Azure AD is the service that runs the identities in office 365. So, issues similar to branding of the login screen or User Security or multi-factor authentication can be resolved here, but in this blog, we will be focusing on the company branding only.
To access Azure AD admin center, click on Show all in left menu in the office 365 portal then click on Azure Active Directory. Here, you’ll be greeted with a dashboard screen that looks like below:
On the dashboard screen, click on the menu (top left corner), select Azure Active Directory, and choose Company Branding then click on configure.
Here you will be required to upload the corporate branding pictures:
Please make note of the following while adding/updating company branding:
- Sign-page background-image: This is the large image displayed on the Azure AD sign-in page. It will scale and crop to fill the available space in the browser window.
- Image size: 1920x1080px
- File size: <300KB
- File type: PNG, JPG, or JPEG.
- Banner logo: The banner logo is displayed on the Azure AD & Microsoft Office 365 sign-in page when users sign in with their respective organization account.
- Image size: 280x60px
- File size: 10KB
- File type: Transparent PNG, JPG, or JPEG
- Username Hint: Customizes the hint text in the username input field. If guest users sign into your app, I’d recommend that you do not set this.
- Sign-in page text: Add sign-in page text with some contact information from your helpdesk.
- Advanced settings: Square logo: The square logo is used to represent user accounts in your organization, on Azure AD web UI, and in Windows 10 Enterprise users when they log-in for the first time.
- Image size: 240x240px (resizable)
- Max file size: 50 kb
- File type: PNG (preferred), JPG, or JPEG
Click save and it is going to update tenant branding. And we are done!
The new login screen is going to be available to the users immediately.
If this process creates your first custom branding configuration, it becomes the default for your tenant. If you have additional configurations, you’ll be able to choose your default configuration.
In a nutshell, it’s a very cool feature, easy to use plus if you have an office 365 it is included along with Azure Active Directory Subscription. With the fast-growing digital world, personalization to digital platforms has been liked by all, moreover, this will always save the user from any unfortunate phishing attack.
Let me know if this was helpful, also you can reach out to me via comment box. 🙂